We are so excited to announce our newest initiative – Career Center Bingo! This initiative is for current degree-seeking students only. The bingo board itself is posted below. If you’d like the PDF version of the board or would like to set up a time to pick up a physical printed copy of the board, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be able to get that set up for you. When you scroll down past that you’ll find information on how to play and even what prizes you can win. If you have questions, email email@example.com. We hope you’re as excited as we are!
How to Play: Complete one of the options below, then set up a “Career Center Bingo” appointment through Handshake to verify your squares. Anything completed between 1/19/21 and 3/19/21 will be accepted, including class assignments and exercises.
Option 1: Complete one row/column (5 consecutive squares) & earn a fun swag bag. We have 50 total swag bags that include a branded reusable tote bag, one of our coveted squishy bulldogs, a notebook with pen, and a set of Post-It Notes.
Option 2: Complete two rows/columns (2 sets of 5 consecutive squares) & earn a gift card to a local business PLUS a related item. We have 8 total mid-level combos for students to win from The Hop ($15 gift card + branded hat), Trade and Lore ($15 gift card + branded travel mug), Sunshine Sammies ($15 gift card + branded hat), Smallcakes ($15 gift card + branded T-Shirt), Spice and Tea ($10 gift card + tea mix + tea infuser), Tiger Bay Cafe ($15 gift card + BattleCat Coffee mug + local artwork stickers), GrindAVL ($20 gift card + branded mug), and Roasted in Highsmith (3 vouchers + UNCA T-Shirt).
Option 3: Complete four rows/columns (4 sets of 5 consecutive squares) & earn a high-level item. We have 6 total high-level items for students to win: 2 Nintendo Switch Lites; 2 Apple Air Pods; 2 Instax Camera Bundles.
Important Notes: We have a limited number of prizes per option. Prizes for completed boards/options will be on a first-come, first-confirmed basis. Additionally, there is a limit of one prize per student.
How to Complete the Squares
Our “Resources” tab on Handshake can help you prepare and complete many of these boxes.
The questions below will be discussed during your “Career Center Bingo” appointment with the Career Center. If you have any questions about the bingo board or process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Listen to an episode of the Cool Jobs Podcast at https://anchor.fm/uncacooljobs and answer the following: What did you learn? What other ‘cool jobs’ would you like to hear about?
- Read one of our Career Center blog posts at uncashevillecareercenter.wordpress.com and answer the following: What was one thing you learned? What other topics would you like to read about?
- Sign up for the Cool Jobs Email (sent out on Mondays) by emailing email@example.com and answer the following: What are three opportunities you thought looked ‘cool’ and why?
- Read a chapter from a career-related book – email firstname.lastname@example.org for suggestions on books – and answer the following: What was one thing you learned? How will you use what you learned?
- Research career options using ‘What Can I Do With This Major?” (access at the bottom right of the Career Center website) & https://www.onetonline.org/ and answer the following: What careers seem interesting to you and why? What will you do to learn more about those options?
- Attend a Career Center event. Find opportunities on our social media and Handshake.
- Complete the online AAUW Salary Negotiation Workshop at courses.aauw.org and answer the following: What did you learn? How will you use what you learned in the future?
- Practice interviewing by setting up a mock interview appointment with the Career Center or a professional connection. We will also accept an interview completed for a job or internship search.
- Write a cover letter. Set up an appointment with the Career Center to have it reviewed.
- Research salary ranges on Glassdoor and Salary.com for 3 positions.
- Create a Wandering Map (“How To” guide can be found in the resources section on Handshake).
- Network with 3 professionals in a field you’re interested in. Think about who you know and who they know, as well as utilizing LinkedIn. These conversations can be done via Google Hangouts/Zoom.
- Write an elevator pitch and practice it with someone.
- Research 3 organizations of interest and answer the following: What did you learn? What questions would you ask someone who works there?
- Research 3 job opportunities and answer the following: What did you learn? What questions would you ask about the roles during a job interview?
- Research 3 graduate school opportunities and answer the following: What stands out to you about each program? What would you discuss in your personal statement?
- Write a personal statement. Set up an appointment with the Career Center to have it reviewed.
- Give thanks by writing (email or snail mail) to three people who have had an impact on your life.
- Update your resume. We recommend having it reviewed by the Career Center.
- Ask for 3 references, create a reference sheet, and answer the following: Why did you choose each reference? What can they highlight about you as a candidate?
- Apply to a job or internship.
- Update your LinkedIn Profile to include a headshot; completed “About,” “Education,” and “Experience” sections; add 3 skills; and follow 3 organizations or companies you’re interested in.
- Clean up your online presence by following the 7 steps described at bit.ly/forbescleanup.
- Complete your Handshake profile by activating your profile; uploading your resume and headshot; completing your preferences/interests; and adding your experience/skills.
- Set an internship/job alert on Handshake and answer the following: What parameters did you set and why?